COVID-19 UPDATE: We are open! We are working and offering consultations via phone, e-mail, and video conferencing.

Nebraska Personal Injury Attorney

Over $2 Billion Recovered for Our Clients in Omaha & Beyond

We cut our teeth on personal injuries and wrongful death claims. When we started, shattered bodies and wreckage were our bread and butter, we still handle them—and well. However, we have spread out to include: Airplanes, semi-trailer trucks, motor vehicles, trains, wrongful deaths, and personal injuries. We understand the insurance process. Maximizing claims, challenging coverage, and demanding enough to make our clients' lives as whole as possible after serious loss—this is our work.

We handle serious personal injury cases. It's what we do.

Common Questions About Personal Injury

What is a personal injury?

A personal injury is defined legally as any injury - physical or mental - to an individual due to someone else's negligence or harmful act.

What should I do if I'm hurt in an accident?

  • Get medical attention
  • File a police report
  • If possible, get names and contact information from witnesses
  • Try to record the sequence of events leading up to the accident while it's still fresh in your mind
  • Talk to an Omaha personal injury lawyer at our firm

What are some examples of personal injury?

Personal injury refers to that area of law where an individual or group of people have been harmed and suffered loss as a result of the negligence, wrongdoing, or liability of another. The injured party would be the plaintiff in this scenario, and the defendant would be the individual, group, or corporation accused of causing or allowing the harm.

Some types of personal injury cases that Domina Law Group handles include:

What kind of compensation am I entitled to?

Several factors determine what compensation you might be entitled to for your injuries - including mental and physical pain and suffering, financial hardship or loss, lost earning capacity, loss of consortium, impairment, disfigurement, and more. The severity of your injury may allow you to recover both compensatory and punitive damages.

These damages may include, but are not limited to:

  • Medical bills
  • Pain and suffering
  • Lost wages
  • Disfigurement
  • Physical disability
  • Emotional trauma
  • Permanent scars
  • Loss of enjoyment
  • Mental anguish
  • Embarrassment
  • Loss of love and affection
  • Mental disability
  • Out of pocket expenses
  • Property damage

What are punitive damages?

"Punitive" refers to punishment, so punitive damages describe a financial penalty against the tortfeasor for their wrongdoing. That money is then awarded to the victim-plaintiff in a civil claim.

How long do I have to file my injury claim?

This depends on the state in which the wrongful death or personal injury occurred. Some states require wrongful death claims to be filed within two years of the date that the death occurred; some states allow more time, some allow less. Some states allow personal injury claims to be filed up to four years from the date the injury occurred, but again, this will vary from state to state.

If you are concerned the statute of limitations might be running out for your claim, contact one of our Omaha personal injury lawyers.

Domina Law Group - Case Studies

So you want to sue the federal government? How do you go about attempting to recover for personal injuries when they are caused by your mailman?

A Domina Law client had exactly that problem when he was driving in a rural portion of the State and was t-boned by a mail carrier who failed to pay attention while they pulled into the intersection. Our client’s car was totaled and he suffered personal injury, medical bills, and lost time off work. While you may think that this would be handled like a typical motor vehicle accident case where you exchange information with the other driver, get their insurance information and negotiations against the insurance company commence, and if you are unable to reach a mutual agreement, you can bring a lawsuit in a court located near where the accident occurred.

Unfortunately, your local mailman is a federal employee and when a federal employee is negligent their employer must answer for their acts. In this case, you have to first, before you can sue, file what is called a federal tort claim. There are specific rules and regulations and pitfalls when handling litigation against the federal government and its agencies and it is important to be experienced in this area so you do not miss deadlines or make mistakes when putting forth your claim.

The government then has a significant period of time in which to evaluate your claim during which you cannot bring any other legal action against it. Additionally, unlike negotiating against an insurance company, the federal government rarely budges in its negotiations because frankly, it does not have to. Also, an important difference is the venue for where litigation would occur if you are unable to successfully present your claim and convince the government that it should pay you the compensation you deserve. You would need to file your case in federal court in Washington, D.C. You can see how this becomes problematic because your cost of bringing the litigation would be far in excess of what it would if you could do it in your own locality.

Domina Law lawyer Brian Jorde was able to successfully resolve this on behalf of his client by presenting a detailed tort claim and documenting all the damages including past, present, and future that his client had suffered and was reasonably likely to suffer in the future and quantify this to a dollar amount.

If you've been severely injured by the negligence of a person, product, or entity, your life has been catastrophically upturned. Domina Law Group is standing by to help you recover the compensation you deserve and require in order to get your life back on track. Call us today at (888) 387-4134

Our Awards

Contact Us Today!

All Consultations are Free and Confidential
  • Please enter your name.
  • This isn't a valid phone number.
  • Please enter your email address.
    This isn't a valid email address.
  • Please make a selection.
  • Please enter a message.